This tour is for travelers wanting to meet with local population more than visiting the natural treasures of Madagascar. Travelers who are looking for genuine social experiences: discover, touch, taste, smell and share the everyday life of the Malagasy people. The tour goes by Ambositra, capital city of Zafimaniry woodcarving craft, listed among UNESCO’s World Heritage. In short words, for anyone wishing to experience the Malagasy’s lifestyle, a place where sharing and exchange are the watchwords.
This tour will offer you the opportunity to be hosted in homes rather than in hotel rooms. To share your meals with your hosts, to see the work in the fields, to meet with beekeeping people, rice farmers, zebu breeders, silk weavers, blacksmiths… Above all, to take part of their daily life.
Among the highlights of this tour:
- Ambositra : The capital city of Zafimaniry woodcarving craft. Visit of the workshops and the shops selling local products (marqueterie, woodworking…). We will spend two nights in Ambositra, allowing you to take time to shop!
- Manandriana : You will lear how to do silk, from the worms nursery to the final silk scarf. You will see all the stages from the worm cocoon to the natural coloration of the silk thread and the weaving at the end.
- Fianarantsoa : Main city for the Betsileo ethnic group. Once we land here, we will walk in huge forests, fields and villages that will lead us to meet with the Betsileo. The Betsileo are welcoming and smiling people. We will walk through rice fields on small borders made of dried mud and surrounded by water. We will even see the settling tanks used to manufacture the bricks, a craft in the Betsileo region. After this walk, rice culture will have revealed all its secrets to you!
- Walk to the top of the Itaolana mountain: 3 days walk with accommodation in the homes of the inhabitants, in the remote villages of Betsileo county. You will walk up to the two summits of the Itaolana mountain (1489 mts high), one of the three sacred mountain of the region.
- The tour ends in Toliara: Beach holidays (extension) available in Ifaty or Anakao
More tours in Madagascar: Madagascar tour