This tour is designed for travelers looking to know more about the culture of the country they visit. Good thing, Madagascar is a land full of culture! No less than 18 ethnic groups live in the red island. If there are off course linguistic and cultural similarities between them… significant differences can be seen when you look closer. For those wanting to learn deeper about the Malagasy culture and lifestyle, it is the ideal tour. Starting from Antananarivo, the tour leads to the south of Madagascar via Fianarantsoa. Along this famous national road 7, you can see a lot of National parks . But for this tour, we will bring you to the hinterland, away from this touristic road.
Among the highlights of this tour :
- The Lazaina village: typical Merina village with old houses and brilliant architecture.
- The Royal Hill of Ambohimanga: the birthplace of the Merina kingdom. One of the most significant symbol of the Malagasy cultural identity. Inside the castle fortifications, several buildings will help you understand the Merina civilization in the nineteenth century. You will also learn more about the cults and old traditions. Some of them are still lining today.
- The Zafimaniry country: Beautiful villages hanged up to the sides of the hills. The people is known for their art of woodcarving. This exceptional craft was internationally renowned with the UNESCO listing in 2003.
- Fianarantsoa Up Town : an unique heritage in Madagascar. Houses, churches markets… all dating from the 19th century and nested in the granite hill of Fianarantsoa rolling city. Small paths, stairs snaking in the upper town allows you to explore this very dense neighborhood. The small garden on the balconies made the inhabitants proud.
- The Betsileo country : Country full of traditions and symbols. Every slice of life is celebrated during traditional ceremonies that cement the social life of Betsileo society.
More tours in Madagascar: Madagascar tour